Who we are
Caritas Aotearoa New Zealand is the NZ Catholic Bishops’ agency for justice, peace and development. We are working on behalf of the New Zealand Catholic Bishops Conference for a world free of poverty and injustice through community development, advocacy, education, and emergency relief.
- We provide community development and emergency relief response here and overseas
- We educate and advocate on social justice issues to counter poverty and injustice around the world, including in Aotearoa New Zealand
- Gospel values and Catholic social teaching underpin our work
- Caritas Aotearoa New Zealand has 19 staff based in Wellington and one in Auckland
- We are part of Caritas Internationalis, an international confederation of 165 Catholic aid, development and social justice agencies
- The Caritas network operates in over 200 countries and territories, supporting the poorest and most vulnerable, regardless of ethnicity, religion or nationality