Caritas will be known as love in action. We unite with communities, especially in the parishes, colleges, marae, religious orders, schools and other Catholic agencies of Aotearoa New Zealand and Oceania to overcome poverty, protect lives and relieve suffering.
ONE HUMAN FAMILY: Transforming communities through enabling lives of dignity and hope.
Caritas Aotearoa New Zealand will be known as love in action. We unite with communities, especially in the parishes, colleges, marae, religious orders and schools of Aotearoa and Oceania to overcome poverty, protect lives and relieve suffering.
Enable lives of dignity and hope by eliminating injustice and poverty, inspired and guided by the Gospels of Jesus and Catholic social teaching, and a loving personal encounter with people in need.
Catholic Social Teaching promotes the dignity of each and every person, along with their responsibilities, regardless of culture, ethnicity, gender or religion. Our work is shaped by these values, and in particular the principles of:
- Human dignity – Te tapu o te tangata
- Solidarity - Kotahitanga
- Subsidiarity - Mana whakahaere
- Preferential option for the poor and vulnerable - He whakaaro nui mō te hunga rawakore
- Participation - Nāu te rourou, nāku te rourou
- Stewardship - Kaitiakitanga
- The Common Good - Hei painga mā te katoa.
Our strategic goals:
Reduce poverty – whakaitingia te pōhara
- Reduce the incidence and impact of poverty
Environmental justice – tikanga taiao
- Address environmental problems and injustice, focusing on climate change and its impact on the most vulnerable in the Oceania region
Indigenous peoples – ngā iwi taketake
- Grow and nurture our relationships with tangata whenua of Aotearoa so that our advocacy and programmes respond to their needs and those of other indigenous communities
Crisis response – te whakautu ki ngā take mōrearea
- Reduce the impact on the most vulnerable of natural and environmental disasters and conflict
Awareness and connection – mōhiotanga me te hononga
- Inspire and empower Catholics in Aotearoa New Zealand to work for a world free of injustice and poverty.
Our way of being:
Within Caritas and in all our work, we seek to be the hands, ears, eyes and mouth of Christ; formed by his love and heart, we are ready to serve, to forgive and to speak with patience, wisdom, gentleness and perseverance.