Encyclical on the environment - Laudato Si'
Pope Francis urges us to take action to protect the planet and its people in his 2015 encyclical, Laudato Si'.
The encyclical, Laudato Si' reminds us of our shared responsibility for caring for our common home and emphasises the urgency of the issues surrounding environmental justice.
In the encyclical, Pope Francis draws on a rich heritage of Church commentary on the environment.
The PowerPoint prayer/reflections below will help school students understand the essence of the Pope’s message on care for our world and for each other.
*The secondary school reflection contains direct quotes from the encyclical, while the primary school text is paraphrased. We recommend both PowerPoints for class and assembly prayer-times.
Previous writings from Caritas and the Church on environmental justice:
- State of the Environment for Oceania 2016 report - Hungry for justice, thirsty for change
- State of the Environment for Oceania 2015 report - Caring for our common home
- 2014 Foundational Oceania Environment report - Small yet strong: voices from Oceania on the environment
- Caritas submission to the Ministry for the Environment on Climate Change Contribution Consultation 2015
- Caritas Oceania Forum 2011 - Statement on climate change and other issues
- Caritas submission on Sustainable Biofuel Bill, 2009
- Caritas submission on Biofuel Bill, 2008
- Caritas submission on Climate Change and Sustainable Land Management, 2007
- Social Justice Series No. 12 - Founded on rock - Putting into practice Catholic teaching on land and environment, 2007
- Social Justice Series No. 11 - Renew the face of the earth - Environmental justice, 2006