Who we are
Caritas Aotearoa New Zealand is the Catholic Bishops’ agency for justice, peace and development. We are working on behalf of the New Zealand Catholic Bishops Conference for a world free of poverty and injustice through community development, advocacy, education, and emergency relief.
- We provide community development and emergency relief overseas
- We educate and advocate on social justice issues to counter poverty and injustice around the world, including in Aotearoa New Zealand
- Gospel values and Catholic social teaching underpin our work
- Caritas Aotearoa New Zealand has 19 staff based in Wellington and one in Auckland
- We are part of Caritas Internationalis, an international confederation of 165 Catholic aid, development and social justice agencies
- The Caritas network operates in over 200 countries and territories, supporting the poorest and most vulnerable, regardless of ethnicity, religion or nationality