The Caritas programme in Peru is working to improve family relationships and reduce domestic violence.
Caritas Australia Peru Protection Programme
Sexual and Gender Based Violence is a chronic issue in Peru where 48 percent of women have experienced severe violence from their intimate partner (UN Dep. ESA 2013), often resulting in their hospitalisation.
This Caritas Australia programme works with three local Caritas organisations in Peru, to strengthen and improve family relationships and improve the safety and wellbeing of women, men and children.
This is being done by:
- Providing counselling support for couples
- Targeted advocacy initiatives with the government and wider community
- Increasing the engagement of men as champions and promoters of positive messages
- Empowerment programmes for women and men
- Supporting the existing networks of people working in communities as promotors and champions of change